Description of the memorial
The memorial was built as a place of reverence on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the burning of Javoříčko. The place of reverence is a rectangular area created from smooth blocks. The dominant feature of the memorial is the Victory sculpture.
The sculpture, a group of six larger-than-life sandstone individuals (a young man with a hammer, a young woman with ears of corn and a sickle, an older woman with a headscarf and a young boy, a man with a flag with a five-pointed star, and a woman with a branch in her hand) reaching a height of approximately 500 cm. The sculpture rests on a platform 212 cm high with an embedded smooth plate. The walls of the base are covered with stone plaques, with inscriptions on the longer sides.
Also part of the memorial is a symbolic tomb – a large granite slab with dimensions of 295 x 492 x 68 cm. It is composed of three parts (in the upper part is a drawing depicting the Javoříčko tragedy, below is a text and the names of the men killed in the Javoříčko camp).
In close proximity to the rectangular surface is a small monument commemorating the destroyed village. The limestone monument with dimensions of 130 x 170 x 30 cm contains an engraved granite plaque.
The memorial was designed by sculptor Jan Tříska and architect Miroslav Putna. The memorial was originally entitled Victory and was renamed in 1999 to the Memorial to the Victims of World War II in Javoříčko. The memorial is a typical work of Socialist Realism.
The Javoříčko camp is often referred to as the Moravian Lidice. It was burned on 5 May 1945 by German troops, mainly involving SS units from their headquarters at Bouzov Castle. According to eyewitness accounts the first house was set ablaze by bazooka at 9 o'clock in the morning. Other homes were then successively set on fire. Woman and children were forced to leave the village and men older than 15 years of age were executed or shot trying to escape. A total of 38 men lost their lives; the youngest was 15 years old, the oldest 76. All of the homes in the village were burned.
In 1937 Javoříčko officially had 33 homes and 174 residents. In 1955, ten years after its destruction, Javoříčko had 3 homes and 12 residents. Today approximately 50 inhabitants reside in the village.
The immediate cause of the Javoříčko tragedy has not yet been fully explained, though it is likely that it was connected with the contact the village residents had with the Jermak partisan group.
Text: Jindřich Garčic
List of Cultural Monument Structures in the Olomouc District. Olomouc 1997
Fax: 585 319 534
Obecní úřad Luká
Javoříčko Caves – No